The Berlin University of the Arts (UdK) is one of the world's largest, most versatile and traditional artistic universities. Out of the approximately 4,000 students about 30% come from abroad. The teaching offered in the colleges of Fine Arts, Design, Music and Performing Arts as well as at the Berlin Career College, Jazz Institute Berlin and the Inter-University Centre for Dance encompasses the full spectrum of the arts and related academic studies in more than 70 study programmes. With the right to confer doctorates and post-doctoral qualifications, the UdK Berlin is also one of the few art colleges in Germany with full university status. In addition, art, music and theatre are trained for the teaching profession. At the UdK Berlin there are about 200 artistic and academic professors, about 250 academic and artistic employees as well as about 300 employees in administration, libraries, service and technology. With around 700 events a year, the UdK Berlin is also a central event location in Berlin's cultural landscape.
The following position is vacant at the UdK Berlin at the Inter-University Centre for Dance (HZT):
Professor at a University of Art (m/f/d)
– Salary group W 2 –
Part-time professor (m/f/d) with three-quarters of the regular teaching commitment, for a limited period of 5 years with the option of permanent extension. The professorship is regulated with an employment contract.
It is planned that the holder (m/f/d) of the position will initially be head of the MA SODA programme for 5 years. To compensate for this, a 25 % reduction in the teaching responsibilities is planned.
Teaching area: Dance, Choreography, Performance
Teaching responsibilities: 13.5 course hours
Can be occupied from 1 October 2020 Ref. no.: 4/1357/19
The Inter-University Centre for Dance (HZT) is an internationally oriented educational institution for contemporary dance, choreography and performance, jointly sponsored by the Berlin University of the Arts, the University of Performing Arts Ernst Busch and in cooperation with TanzRaumBerlin, a network of the professional dance scene. Three study programmes have been established at the HZT: Solo / Dance / Authorship (MA), Choreography (MA) and Dance, Context, Choreography (BA).
The MA SODA (Master of Arts) programme offers a transdisciplinary learning environment aimed at individual, practice-led research in the field of body- and movement-based performative arts, drawing on artistic and theoretical practices and concepts. The two-year full-time course is taught in English. It provides students with resources to develop their formal, technical and theoretical skills in an environment of critical analysis, feedback and discussion. The Master's programme offers graduates from different study programmes and professional artists a research context in which they can further develop, challenge and transform their individual artistic praxis within an academic setting. The programme aims to include a broad spectrum of guest lecturers and to critically reflect on the specific geopolitical contexts, current developments in the arts and the educational landscape associated with them.
- teaching mainly in the MA SODA programme as well as in teaching formats of the HZT at Bachelor and Master level
- sharpening and further developing the content profile of the programme and its structure in close cooperation with the artistic-academic professorship of the programme
- artistic supervision of the self-developed performances, documentation and text works of the students and related individual research practices
- stimulation and supervision of transdisciplinary work approaches
- communicating theoretical-discursive knowledge practices and their contexts in the field of body- and movement-based performative arts
- intensification of German and international contacts and cooperation in the active development of cooperation projects and networks
- administration and coordination tasks in the academic self-administration within the centre and the university
- completed university studies or equivalent educational and professional experience
- specific artistic profile corresponding to the orientation of the HZT and the MA SODA
- extensive working knowledge and experience in the field of body- and movement-based performative arts
- knowledge of actors and relevant contexts
- proven teaching experience at universities or in comparable non-institutional contexts
- interest in and experience with teaching approaches and their further development
- independent research praxis in/through/with art that reflects the interfaces between aesthetics, society and ethics
- willingness to actively promote critical reflection and visibility of practices, concepts and ways of working that are not established in the canon of Western arts
- fluency in English, spoken and written
- knowledge of the German language is desired in the long term
- interest in interdisciplinary developments in the field of body- and movement-based performative arts, which connects current developments on an international level with the dynamics in the Berlin art scene
- ability and willingness to take on coordination tasks
- ability to communicate and work in a team
- corresponding presence is expected for teaching and the associated support in the full-time MA SODA programme
- requirements for appointment according to Art. 100 of the Berlin Higher Education Law (BerlHG)
The HZT is prepared to support the holder of the position at the beginning of their employment with further training measures to familiarise them with the teaching and research environment of the HZT.
The HZT places great attention on questions of diversity and inclusion in its work practices and personnel policies.
The Berlin University of the Arts and the University of Performing Arts Ernst Busch are particularly committed to the recruitment and promotion of women; they pursue a gender-mainstreaming strategy. Recognised physically challenged persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally qualified. Please indicate this circumstance in your application. Applications from persons from a migration background who fulfil the requirements for recruitment are expressly welcome.
Please send your written application in English by post to Universität der Künste Berlin - ZSD 1 -, Postfach 12 05 44, 10595 Berlin, by 29 October 2019, specifying the reference number. In addition, please send your application in digital form (summarised in a PDF file, max. 3 MB) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. By submitting an application, you consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.
Please submit the following application documents:
- a detailed curriculum vitae
- a letter of motivation describing your artistic focus and interests in relation to the MA SODA programme (up to a maximum of 10,000 characters)
- selected work samples
For cost reasons, application documents can only be returned if the applicant (m/f/d) sends us an enclosed and sufficiently post-paid return envelope.
Find more information at www.udk-berlin.de/universitaet/stellenausschreibungen/