Information page on immediate measures in the context of the coronavirus at the UdK Berlin
As university management we are challenged these days to make quick and good decisions. Our goal is to protect the health of all university members. To this end, we work closely with the Senate Chancellery, the heads of Berlin's universities and health experts, and coordinate our actions with the heads of our schools and centers.
Our artistic forms of study differ greatly from those of other institutions and must be given special consideration. As you all know, they are material-bound, body-related and often arise from intensive physical encounters, organized in group work or collectively in the studios, workshops and rehearsal rooms. This practice can lead to a greater risk of infection, which we want to avoid in the interest of the university members, but also of society.
For this reason we have decided to take a number of protective measures.
They will apply from 18.3.2020.We have decided the following regulations:
- All UdK buildings will be closed to the public and students from Wednesday, 18.3.2020 until further notice.
- All buildings will be closed daily from 8 pm and on weekends.
- The operation of the cafeterias will be suspended.
- Administrative operations will be carried out in compliance with the necessary hygiene measures and the current rules on teleworking.
- Only lecturers and members of administration and service will be allowed access to the buildings in order to maintain the basic operation of the university.
- At the same time, an internal UdK working group is investigating which study programs could be taught online.
- A final decision by the state of Berlin on the implementation of the summer semester is still pending.
- You will be informed promptly about the handling of examinations which have already been planned.
- Applications for the winter semester will be accepted by post and the modalities of the entrance examinations will be announced in due course.
- All information and measures can also be found on the website of the UdK Berlin, which is constantly updated. In addition, we have set up a UdK Twitter account which provides information in German and English about all new developments.
- We would like to thank you all for the trustful cooperation during this special time - and we have already done so in recent weeks, in which we have been looking for the best possible ways and solutions to fulfil our common tasks at the university. We will continue to do so, because we will continue to face challenges together.
But the most important wish is: stay healthy.
The UdK and HZT staff are happy to answer questions specifically regarding the University and will make every effort to respond promptly. Please refer to the FAQs on the UdK Berlin website about the coronavirus to remain up to date. The webpage includes updates from the Crisis Committee. MORE >
Information from 11. March 2020
In light of the situation resulting from the spread of the coronavirus, we as a university are obliged to respond responsibly, prudently, and with consideration for the future. Our aims are to stem the spread of the virus, gain time, and adjust our actions accordingly. On 11 March 2020, the Senate Chancellery for Science and Research adopted immediate measures in agreement with the state universities in the State of Berlin and on the advice of health experts at Charité–Universitätsmedizin Berlin.
Immediate measures for all Berlin universities
1. The immediate cancellation of all conferences, conventions and other events during the current lecture-free period as well as for the lecture period of summer semester 2020 (until 20.07.2020). This also applies to events organized by third parties.
2. The immediate cancellation of all courses requiring physical attendance being held in the current lecture-free period. Each university will examine the possibility of providing these as online courses.
3. The universities are required to evaluate on the basis of the guidelines provided by the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) whether examinations scheduled for the period up until 20.07.20 can be conducted. Agreement concerning the conducting of state examinations is to be taken in conjunction with the relevant Berlin Senate Departments, namely those for Justice, Health, and Education. Ongoing and scheduled internships which are components of degree programs are to be conducted in accordance with the requirements of the institutions or organizations where the internships are taking place.
4. The start of the summer semester lecture period for universities is to be postponed until 20.04.2020. The universities are to prepare measures to deal with any necessary postponements of classes and examinations or shortening of semesters (such as providing block seminars or online formats).
5. Other functions such as research operations, administration and libraries are to be maintained for the time being. Please note the change: The UdK Berlin and TU Berlin library will closefrom 11 March 2020. This applies until further notice.
6. All students, researchers and staff of academic institutions returning from regions designated as risk areas by the RKI are required to self-impose a 14-day quarantine.
7. Official trips as well as study and research stays in regions designated as risk areas by the RKI are not being approved.
8. The universities and research institutions are required to communicate applicable measures to their members and to adjust these measures on an ongoing basis to reflect changes to the situation. If they have not already done so, the universities and research institutions are to adjust their procedures for dealing with pandemics.
Special measures are being adopted in cooperation with Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin and Studierendenwerk Berlin.
Further immediate measures
In addition, the universities are called upon to introduce further specific measures. The UdK Berlin and TU Berlin library will closefrom 11 March 2020. This applies until further notice.
We are happy to answer questions specifically regarding the University and will make every effort to respond promptly. Please refer to the FAQs on the UdK Berlin website about the coronavirus to remain up to date. The webpage includes updates from the Crisis Committee. MORE >